Originally fires in the district were fought by local residence using rakes, and other farming equipment, as well back burning was commonly used to control fires. A meeting was held in the Carey Gully church on the 5th of December 1955 following the Black Sunday fires where local residents decided that a brigade was required. Don Driver was elected as the first Chief Officer (Captain) of the Carey Gully Emergency Fire Service. Many years later the “Emergency Fire Service” was changed to the “Country Fire Service”.
Much of the equipment used by the brigade for firefighting from 1955 through to the late 1990s was donated by the local community or purchase with funds raised by the community. The local councils also provided some equipment and support to all brigades.